Pages

Monday 20 January 2014

One Word!

A while back, someone I'm in touch with sent me this post about asking God for a word from Him to direct your year. The word will be something to focus on over the year, and, as you do so, He will put you in situations where He will show you how the word is important in your life. To shape and direct you as much as guide you to the future He has for you. Now I don't know why she sent it to me, but I am sure that God is behind it.





I started to pray about it immediately, and He gave me the word straight away; but I doubted it was the right word. Mainly because it just didn't sound right. The word for me was (and is) 'surprise'. When I heard that, I wasn't sure about it, for a couple of reasons. One, because I was expecting a 'spiritual' word; and, two, because I wondered what I could do with it. I thought that if it was the word, then it would be all about God doing things, and catching me by surprise; but, not really anything I could do anything about-after all, I can't exactly surprise myself. But further questioning revealed that I was both right and wrong. Right in what the word is, that has been the only answer I've received on asking; and wrong on what I thought of it.

There is actually something I can focus on and pray about in this-and it is a challenge. One attitude He wants to challenge (is challenging) is the idea that certain things in my life are never going to change-either that I can't change them, or He isn't going to. Or both. And to go along with that, the fact that when (not if) He changes things, I will have to do things in response. Some of those responses will be easy, or at least straightforward; and some most definitely won't. But, if He does things, He will expect me to grasp the opportunities He creates, and go for them.

I've been listening to the song 'Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) tonight, which contains the line "I'll find You in the mystery"; which seems quite straightforward. After all, if God is God, then we should expect not to ever fully understand Him. But, as far as this goes, if I seriously look into Him, I should expect to be surprised-and to a certain extent, if I'm not, I'm probably not paying attention; maybe taking Him for granted. And that is not only disrespectful rude wrong, but also dangerous. I mean, if I'm going to trust someone, I should get to know them, right?

So, in the (almost) three weeks of the year so far, have there been any indications of things I might get surprised by. Well, this is an obvious example. I've done more posts quicker than ever before, and I still have plenty of ideas. Which is great. But I still have to do them. Which is kind of the point, I think. Whatever He gives me (us?), I (we?) have to do something about/with. The other main thing I have some sense might be changing this year are my relationships. I noticed that towards the end of last year, that I've started a lot of new relationships and refreshed some old ones. And what I noticed with that is that it is difficult. Well, duh. But, again, the whole point. If I want things to get better (and things can always get better, somehow), then I have to be willing to put the work in. And keep doing it. For as long as necessary, which may well be longer than I think-or want it to be. Right?

As an aside, we have been using Oceans for about a year at my church; and, I've always found it a powerful song. There is a refrain in it which talks about asking him to lead me me where my trust is without borders, which I've always enjoyed singing; but, always without fail, found somewhat scary. I think this means that those prayers are being answered. And I'm still scared. But that's good, I think-at least that means I'm taking it seriously. And Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment