Pages

Friday 8 February 2013

A Letter To Benjamin

At church last week, we had another big promotional campaign for Compassion UK. There are a lot of people around who already support a child through them, but there are still people who want to do it-and as our Compassion advocates could tell you, there are always more children who need support. And the really great thing about how it is all set up is that supporting a child actually supports their whole family.

Anyway, it reminded me that it was about time I wrote to my sponsored child again-Benjamin Mutai is his name. I last got a letter from him in November, but he has heard from me since. His birthday is in December and then obviously there was Christmas, so he had a card from me both those times. I just hadn't sent a letter. And now I have. Last time he wrote, he was talking about his dreams. He wants to be a teacher. Apparently, all the children there know that education is their best hope, so they work really hard at school-he's particularly good at Maths and Science and enjoys them, so I wonder if he will go into teaching one of those subjects. At the moment, his letters are really short, as he's only 8. He basically gets interviewed about a subject, and gives quite short answers. And probably the fact that it has to be translated doesn't help with that.

And my replies aren't able to be much longer either, as we only have a small amount of space to write in. Which is fair enough, as he's still young-I wonder if there will be more space as he gets older. Anyway, I wrote my letter. He told me about his dreams, so I told him about one of mine. I told him I want to be a writer, and help encourage people through what I write. I did wonder how to tell him about this blog, but couldn't think how to do it. So I just told him that I wrote poems, I think. So now I'm waiting to see what he thinks of that.

If you want to support a child yourself, just follow the link here. I would recommend it if you can. And I would recommend it even if you don't think you can

No comments:

Post a Comment